AW: [opencms-dev] Getting OpenCMS up and running, documentation

Michael Emmerich Michael.Emmerich at framfab.de
Wed Oct 30 17:07:52 CET 2002

Hello Christian,

>I´ve just installed the openCMS 5.0 beta on a test system.
>
>I have the documentation from opencms.org which is for ver. 4.6
>
>How different are the versions, and does the introduction to using the
>workplace still apply?

There is no major change in the workplace of OpenCms 4.6 and OpenCms 5.0, so
the intuduction is valid in most parts. OpenCms 5.0 contains some new
features compared to 4.6 (link management, JSP templates), so some more
functions have been added to the workplace, but most functions are the same.

>For instance, there is no test project at
>localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/index.html, as described in the docs.
>Whe I create a new project, the system will not allow use of the folder
>projects as described. I only have the  following folders:

The introduction in the OpenCms documentation describes the system using the
opencms.org site as an example. You can download this site and the required
news module from the opencms.org site in the downloads->modules section.

><root>
>-content
>-download
>-externallinks
>-htmlgalleries
>-moduledemos
>-pics
>-system
>
>in the documentation, "projects" would be among them

This folder is part of the sample page and not included in the pure OpenCms
installation. When you install OpenCms, you will have an empty system
without any  sample pages in it.

>So I guess the question is, should I downgrade to 4.6 in order to have a
>documentation that will apply, or is there something really obvious I am
>missing.

I would suggest to use 4.6 except you really want to use the new features of
the 5.0 release (which is still beta). A new Beta2 will be released soon as
Alex Kandzior mentioned a few days ago here on this list.

Regards,
Michael Emmerich

OpenCms Professional Services
Framfab Deutschland