[opencms-dev] How to use v. 5 beta

Kevin McKenzie kevin at mkid.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 14:46:14 CET 2002

25/11/2002 13:08:26, "Tillman, James" <JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us> wrote:

>Hi.  New user here.  I've pored over the user guide and downloaded the
>latest beta.  While things appear to be installed and working well, I can't
>figure out how to use the templates.
<snip>
>Can any one fill in the gaps for me.  A high level explanation will probably
>do the trick.

Hi,

I am having similar problems and posted a couple of days ago (thanks to Thomas Maerz
for replying).

Apologies in advance for what is likely to be a long post but, if anyone is up and running
with 5.0 beta 2, I would love to hear how you did it.

After logging in as Admin, I change my view to Administration and change project to
offline.  I then create a module as follows:
    Packetname: com.test.opencms     Version: 1
    Modulename: testmodule
    Maintenance class:
    Email:
    Date Created: 25.11.2002
I then Publish the Offline project - here is the ouput:
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/classes/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/classes/com/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/classes/com/test/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/classes/com/test/opencms/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/default_bodies/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/elements/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/lib/
    /system/modules/com.test.opencms/templates/

    Static Export
      links to start: 0

I switch back to Explorer view and see that the Offline project has a new module called
'com.test.opencms', with the directory structure shown above.

Now I go back to Administration and create a project as follows:
    Project Name: testproject
    Third field:
    Folders: /system/modules/com.test.opencms/
    Channels:
    User Group: Users
    Manager Group: Projectmanager
    Delete project after publishing:

The project automatically switches to 'testproject' and I switch back to Explorer view,
where everything is displayed gray except the 'download', 'externallinks', 'htmlgalleries',
and 'pics' directories under 'galleries' and the whole of the new project branch
/system/modules/com.test.opencms/.

This is where I start to have problems.

Still logged in as Admin, I follow the documentation (2.1.4. Defining the layout in the
frametemplate) to create a 'real world' website layout:
    frametemplate
        Name: testframe
        Title: testframe
    mastertemplate
        Name: testmaster
        Title: testmaster
I then select the /system/modules/com.test.opencms/ folder and create a page:
    Name: testpage
    Title: Test Page
    Template: Testmaster
    Everything else left at default values, except for
        Text in Navigation: testpage

When I click Save, I get the following error:

[CmsException]: 1 Access denied. Detailed Error: Error while creating new Page
[CmsException]: [com.opencms.file.mySql.CmsResourceBroker]
/default/vfs/system/bodies/system/. Caught Exception: >[CmsException]: 1 Access
denied.   (I have the full stack trace if it would help debugging).

The page is created, but the Controlcode shows the default master template, so I correct
that (I saw the message in the archives about this bug).

When I click on the page to display it in my browser, I get:
[frametemplate] ??? [CmsException]: 2 Not found. Detailed Error:
[com.opencms.file.mySql.CmsDbAccess] /default/vfs/content/frametemplates/testframe.

I suspect the paths, so I change:
    /content/contenttemplates/empty
to:
    empty   (after copying the 'empty' template to
/system/modules/com.test.opencms/templates)

and:
    /content/frametemplates/testframe
to:
    testframe

Now when I click on the page to display it in my browser, my layout appears with 'The
Head section' and the 'Navigation' section displayed, but an error for the content:

body] ??? [CmsException]: 2 Not found. Detailed Error:
[com.opencms.file.mySql.CmsDbAccess]
/default/vfs/system/bodies/system/modules/com.test.opencms/testpage.html.

That's as far as I got with this, so I started to play around with users and access rights.

As Admin, I added a user called 'testuser' as a member of the group 'Users'.  When I log
in as this user and, in the Explorer view, click on the 'testproject', all I see is the 'Root
Folder' (gray, non-expandable).

I create another user 'testpm' as a member of the group 'Projectmanager', but I still just
see 'Root Folder' grayed out.

And that's it.  I'm stumped.

In order to evaluate opencms, I am using the following scenarios:

1. Business directory style website where webusers register on the site and can then
maintain their own record in the DB (and only their own record).
2. Community portal style website, where there are many different types of content.  For
example: News, Events, Reviews, Poetry, Discussion etc.  Different 'back office' staff will
have access to different content types.

Can anyone comment on whether or not opencms is the right tool for these scenarios
and, if it is, help me overcome the technical issues I am having.

Sorry for the long post.

Kevin