[opencms-dev] Content Syndication in OpenCMS

Ratko Kovacina ratko at mosili.com
Wed Jul 16 22:01:00 CEST 2003

I believe that Matt thought about selecting inputs for publishing
outgoing RSS not incoming feeds. Is it correct understanding, Matt?

I don't think you need to have any control over incoming RSS feeds. You
can either accept some news feed from a site or not. Everything that
other site syndicated comes to you. You may want to implement some
filtering capabilities to extract/remove text from the original incoming
XML file. However I am not sure about the usefulness of it at this point
nor how complex it would be to create something meaningful and easy to
use at the same time. What kind of filtering would that be? Based on
what?

But for the outgoing RSS feed, the one you are syndicating out, you may
do something like you suggested in your email (top 10, or last 10, or
anything similar)or it might be different directory where only files
that would be syndicated are stored. It might be set as an option to
choose at the time of a file/news creation, for example.

The other valid option is to have a tool that would extract from the
database some articles (based on time of publishing, or ...) and
automatically creates RSS file. There administrator could choose what
should be included in initial search (news/articles/etc) and easily
control what is being published (if one wants to do that).

--
Ratko.