[opencms-dev] Web users - probably a doomed table

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Thu Jul 17 06:26:01 CEST 2003

At Thursday 7/17/03 03:40 PM, Scott Newham wrote

>I'm developing a portal for 10,000s of users. I'm thinking of using "web
>users" because my investigations show that web users don't show up in the
>admin interface. Cleary thousands of users in the user display list would
>be a disaster and I don't want the users to access the "CMS" side of
>things anyway.
>
>1. Is this a good idea using web users?
>2. Will OpenCMS handle 10,000s (say 50,000) of web users in the database
>without side effects on other functionality?
>3. Has anyone done anything like this number of registered users before?

Scott,

         One the chief OpenCMS developers is Alexander Kandzior. I suggest
that you read what he recently said on the subject of the database table
CMS_WEBUSERS:  "we will probably remove the CMS_WEBUSERS table
from the next release" of OpenCMS.
See
http://synyx.de/board/viewtopic.php?t=157&sid=f137f7af613351d6dea184408477d61a
(last paragraph).

         BTW, the substance of Alexander's "web forum" statement (linked
above) also appears somewhere in the email archives, but I do not have a
link to it. The email archives are accessible through www.OpenCMS.org.

-- Paul Bain