[opencms-dev] Web users - probably a doomed table

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Jul 17 11:05:02 CEST 2003

Scott (and Paul)

as for your questions: One if the reasons for adding the web users was
that they don't show of in the regular user interface. The other one is
tha a web use can be created by a "Guest" user (i.e. the user can create
his account on the web himself) while regular users can be created only
by a member of the "Administrators" group.

We did work on sites with several thousands of webusers (say close to
10.000) but to my knowledge not with 50.000 users. Scalablity will
obviously depend on the performance of your database.

The additional table CMS_WEBUSERS was used to store additional data for
the users (stuff that you enter on the website when you register as
webuser that dosen't fit in the default user table). Unfortunatly there
is no administrtative interface for that available as Open Source so we
will probably remove the table from the next release.

The important thing is that the web user function itself will remain
intact. We will just remove the table that isn't used since the users
itself are stored in the CMS_USERS table with a flag set indicating that
they are web users not regular users. In case you need a table like
CMS_WEBUSERS just add your own table. As of now, you will have to write
your own admin interface for webusers anyway.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts
http://www.alkacon.com

dea184408477d61a
(last paragraph).

         BTW, the substance of Alexander's "web forum" statement (linked

above) also appears somewhere in the email archives, but I do not have a

link to it. The email archives are accessible through www.OpenCMS.org.

-- Paul Bain