[opencms-dev] Not able to login as Admin

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Aug 15 23:36:01 CEST 2003

At Friday 8/15/03 03:16 PM, Ann Keane wrote:

>I've been looking through the archives and haven't found anything related
>to this yet.  I've just installed OpenCMS and gotten to the login
>screen.  When I enter the Admin/admin inital password, the login screen
>just returns.

         This is precisely the behavior I receive _IF_ I use a web browser
that does not have the necessary support (for ActiveX, I believe). I
receive this behavior if I use, for example, Mozilla Firebird (formerly
called Mozilla "Phoenix"). I follow the recommendation of the OpenCMS
documentation and use a late version of MS Internet Explorer (MSIE), ver.
6. Version 5 of MSIE does _not_ work with OpenCMS ver. 5.x even though it
worked well with OpenCMS 4.6.

>The only entry I get in the opencms.log is:
>
>[15.08.2003 13:03:39] <opencms_info> [CmsLogin] Login user Admin

<snip>

>I was wondering if there was a characterset mismatch.  Tomcat is using
>ISO-8859-1, while mysql is using UTF-8.

         I concede that such a problem may be possible, but have never
heard of it. After all, under OpenCMS, Tomcat never communicates directly
with MySQL. The OpenCMS servlets run _in_ Tomcat (a servlet container) and
its JVM, and they send SQL statements to MySQL via JDBC.

         HTH.

-- Paul Bain