[opencms-dev] Error 127 on DB access puts opencms *** OUT OF THE QUESTION ***

Willem Grooters Willem at GrootersNet.nl
Tue Aug 26 09:20:02 CEST 2003

A week ago, I made a call for an explanation of an error occuring on my
opencms installation (Error 127 on DB access) and found something I'm not at
all pleased of.
It turned out that although none of the tables had an error (checked and
repaired when applicable), and the project did indeed no longer exist in the
databse, the project kept showing up in opencms's projectlist and caused
error 127 on databse access time after time.
Stopping mysql did not solve the problem, this was part of the repair cycle,
both the project and the error kept showing up.
I also observered that, after I left opencms, a large number of database
connections of opencms are left open - appearently in SLEEP state. This
could perhaps lead to let this error reappear in a new session.
Yesterday I had to reboot - so everything was restarted. Now, the situation
is as it should be: the project does no longer show up, and the error did no
longer return.

So now I have the impression that, if there's something wrong in the
database, you have to restart Tomcat.

On my system, this behaviour is intolerable.

I won't say it makes it unusable completely, just for the kind of
environment I intended to use it in. My guess is I can use openCMS but it
should be on a more or less standalone machine, where restart of any
component has no influence on other applications. This would mean I need to
setup (and maintain) yet another machine, just for opencms? NO, THANK YOU.

I'll have to look for alternatives.

Willem Grooters
e-mail: Willem at Grootersnet.nl