[opencms-dev] Editor access prolem and pea for basic tutorials...

David Booker david_booker at excite.com
Wed Aug 27 19:15:01 CEST 2003

As a new user, I'm baffled by some "gaps":
1.DOCUMENTATION: All my quesitons seem naive, because I can't find instructions for many "features" in the OpenCMS pdf-documentation or tutorials or documentation modules or help. Am I missing the "mother lode" of documentation someplace? Is there actually a tutorial someplace that ACTUALLY walks one through all the steps to put a site into OpenCMS, create the navigation (w/o java knowledge), assign projects and permissions and set the static export and adjust the URL, etc.....? The basic and module-based documentation doesn't.

2.HELP MODULE: The "context sensitive" help module is NOT. It's just a pared-down version of the basic manual section of the pdf documentation that accompanies the source distribution. Am I missing something? Is there actually a way to turn on a context-sensitive help?

3. ACCESS DENIED: Installed OpenCMS 5.0 on Tomcat on Unix. Simple tests of permissions, "right out of the box", defined some sample people's logins/roles....ok.....tried to edit a test document -- no problem for the Administrator, but access denied for Users and Projectmanagers. Permissions on folder and file set properly, roles appear correct.....What else can cause it? They can intermittently lock/unlock, but sometimes get denied. Can permissions be affected by the Unix machine's own permissions on which Tomcat is running?

Tried giving the user a "task" but that did nothing, in fact didn't even send the message it was supposed to.

Tried publishing the folder....no change. Tried deleting the folder...not an option. Only deletes in the offline project, but stays on the Online project. Can't get rid of the thing!

Ok, brownie points to anyone with ideas.....

-Dave Booker
Freiburg, Germany (wish it were Tahiti)