[opencms-dev] Need Sub-Templates

A. Schirmacher nn4l at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 3 08:54:02 CEST 2003

My content contains text, images and elements like
factboxes or additional link lists which all share the
same design. For examples see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3202259.stm or
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,264095,00.html
.

I would like to use templates for these elements too,
to separate content and design. When I modify the
template for one element, all pages should update with
the new design. Think of templates defined in separate
files which are somehow included by the HTML file. How
can I do this?

I tried to use the HTML Gallery, but the disadvantage
is that it is not a template, the code is duplicated
instead. So a global modification is not possible.

The "multiple content area" approach might work but
requires JSP pages instead of HTML, because the number
and locations of my factboxes and link boxes differ
for each page.

Another option would be to use custom tags. I could
create a link list as a table using the WYSIWYG
editor, then add custom tags around this table using
the sourcecode editor. The custom tags would then
generate the extra html design. Might work but it is
cumbersome.

What should I do to solve the "Sub-template"
requirement? Please advise.