[opencms-dev] WYSIWYG editor

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Thu Sep 4 11:33:02 CEST 2003

I haven't tested the editor for various CSS2 commands, but I spent
quite some time(*) on making the makeover for my homepage into a pure
CSS one. In that process it has become clear that even not the latest
MSIE properly support CSS (1 or 2), so I would be surprised if the
editor fares any better.

But, assuming you limit your CSS ambitions to the most common
typography-related styles (and not the more complicated layout styles),
then it does a decent job. When you create a new article in OpenCms you
select a template, and that template in turn holds a reference to the
appropriate stylesheet file, which is what the editor uses. As for
turning of bold, you could as a workaround (if there are no other
means) just use the stylesheet to nullify the visual 'sideeffects' of
people using the bold style or likewise.

(*) As for my findings on the state of the art in CSS and browsers, I
rank Gecko-based browsers best (though not without flaws). KHTML based
ones comes in second (of Konqueror and Safari the latter seems to
closest to matching Gecko) and last of the ones I've looked at is MSIE
(haven't tested Opera). But that said it is generally small issues, of
which MSIE faulty implementation of fixed positioning bugs me the most.

regards
Claus