[opencms-dev] static export of the pics/downloads folder

Thorsten K. Zeiller tk.zeiller at onlinehome.de
Tue Sep 9 10:51:01 CEST 2003

Hello list,

we have set up a system with 30 users. Each of them has its own subdirectory
under the root of the vfs. When publishing, the subdirectory of each user is
exported to a directory of the apache webserver which is the (apache-)root
of this website (a subdomain points to it like "user1.domain.de/").

The directories after export:

/  (domain.de webroot)
/pics
/downloads
/user1  ->  user1.domain.de (domain.de/user1)
/user2  ->  user2.domain.de (domain.de/user2)

The problem is the export of the /pics and /downloads folders which are
shared by all users. Though they both reside in their own subdir of vfs they
are exported like the userdirs to apache, so we can't use relative links
with pictures and downloads because e.g. the "pics"-folder is one step above
the users root on apache.

My question: is there a chance to define a exportrule for /pics and
/downloads (e.g. to use absoltue links on the published pics/downloads) or
do I have to disable static export for them what would slow down the server.
Is there another possibility to solve my problem?

TIA
Thorsten K. Zeiller