[opencms-dev] Basic or forms-based authentication for folders - how?

RReppel at burntsand.com RReppel at burntsand.com
Tue Sep 23 19:06:01 CEST 2003

Claus,

... I have found one way of doing basic authentication for folders:

1. Edit tomcat-users.xml to contain a copy of the users and roles defined in
OpenCMS. (I'm no Tomcat expert, but it seems likely that Tomcat can be made
to authenticate against the same authentication source which OpenCMS uses,
in which case this step shouldn't be necessary anymore.)

2. Put the appropriate <security-constraint> into
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/web.xml.

Example:

    <security-constraint>
	    <web-resource-collection>
		<web-resource-name>HealthProfessionals</web-resource-name>
		<description>
		Security constraint forresources in the intra directory
		</description>
		<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
		<http-method>POST</http-method>
		<http-method>GET</http-method>
	    </web-resource-collection>
	    <auth-constraint>
		<description>Constraint for Health
Professionals</description>
		<role-name>Administrators</role-name>
		<role-name>manager</role-name>
	    </auth-constraint>
	    <user-data-constraint>
		<description>SSL not required</description>
		<transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee>
	    </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <login-config>
    	<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    </login-config>

    <security-role>
    	<description>Health Professionals Role</description>
    	<role-name>Administrators</role-name>
    </security-role>

Haven't tested it fully yet, but this seems to work so far ...

Regards,

Robert