[opencms-dev] JavaScript problem solved

Bryan LaPlante blaplante at netwebapps.com
Fri Sep 26 07:05:02 CEST 2003

After wasting a day on this, I thought I would give everyone the heads up on
the final outcome. When using opencms with IE5.0 on win2k the function used
to verify that you have filled out the proper form input fields uses a
function called encodeURIComponent to escape value put into those text
fields that are not appropriate for the url needed by the browser. The
encodeURIComponent function is not available until IE5.5. After installing
service pack 4 and upgrading my browser on the win2k box, I still
experienced js errors when trying to create a folder, page or any type of
resource. It turns out that I upgraded the browser by going to MS's browser
page instead of going to the MS updater page. The browser said that it was
version 6.0 after the upgrade but in fact it was still using the 5.0 script
engine hence I had a corrupt install.

I was a little disappointed that no one responded to my request for help. If
anyone would care to elaborate, I would very much appreciate some
information about were the JavaScript for these create pages is built so
that I can go in and add some additional browser sniff and possible alert
messages to inform the next developer that the system is trying to use
methods that are not available in the browser that they are currently using.

Bryan LaPlante