[opencms-dev] Workflow related

Srikanth Addala SAddala at ifmc.org
Mon Sep 29 17:46:02 CEST 2003

Hi Friends,
I am in the process of evaluating OpenCMS for a website we work on. I
am looking into the workflow and have a few questions, I was wondering
if any of you can answer.

In my experience, I am used to creating a workflow process - lets call
it the
Article Workflow --> Which will have 3 steps
Authoring --> Editing & Approving-->  Publising

I want to assign an author (a person that belongs to the Author role)
to the Authoring Process, an Editor to the Editing process and a
publisher to the Publishing process. So when an author creates an item
(after he is done creating it) can assign this workflow to the item he
just created and send it off to the Editor. The editor makes any
necessary changes and sends it to the Publisher who finally publishes
the item. So there is a relation between the Content Item and the
Workflow process.
As I am looking into OpenCMS workflow, I was not able to see (out of
the box atleast) this kind of functionality. While I am reading the
documentation, I am coming across information like "OpenCms features
powerful mechanisms for workflow management. A "4-eyes" workflow is
always active for content creation because of the integrated project
mechanism with "online" and "offline" projects". What does this mean?

Do any of you know how to assign a workflow to an item (or if this
feature is there at all)? Or we can only create discrete workflow task
items that are not related to an item (which is not really much useful
to me)?

Please let me know if any of you know more about the workflow features
of OpenCMS, I will really appreciate your help.

Thank You,
Sri Addala.