[opencms-dev] OpenCMS performance?

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Mon Sep 29 18:12:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 07:42, Matthew Evans wrote:

> One thing I have noticed is the performance of OpenCMS. When I create
> a new page, or edit existing pages etc, it takes forever for OpenCMS
> to refresh the pages with the new content. Is this just me? Or does
> everyone have this problem?

Where does it take a long time? You say it takes forever to refresh the
page -- which page? Oh, and how long is "forever"? I would say mine will
occasionally take six or seven seconds... maybe as much as 10.

There are a couple of things I can think of: 1) Writing appears to
require a lot of object synchronization, which can take a long time (and
there aren't many solutions, other than faster hardware/VM). 2) It could
be taking a long time to communicate with the database. In that case,
you could probably isolate the problem and at least improve it -- maybe
fix it. Is there a way you can check how long it's taking the DB to
process an update? (Obviously, I'm no DB guru)

Hope that helps,

Matt

--
M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net>