AW: [opencms-dev] Problems with publishing / Gray Flags

Kai Schliemann k.schliemann at comundus.com
Wed Dec 17 09:55:02 CET 2003

Hi Olivier,

thanks for your hint. It helped.

I did a little investigation on this problem. In the mySQL-Reference I found
the following:

################### start #####################
A.2.9 Communication Errors / Aborted Connection

Starting with MySQL 3.23.40 you only get the Aborted connection error of you
start mysqld with --warnings.
If you find errors like the following in your error log.
010301 14:38:23  Aborted connection 854 to db: 'users' user: 'josh'
See section 4.9.1 The Error Log.
This means that something of the following has happened:
    * The client program did not call mysql_close() before exit.

############ start - could one of these two be the problem? ##############
    * The client had been sleeping more than wait_timeout or
interactive_timeout without doing any requests. See section 4.5.6.4 SHOW
VARIABLES. See section 4.5.6.4 SHOW VARIABLES.
    * The client program ended abruptly in the middle of the transfer.
############ end - could one of these two be the problem? ##############

When the above happens, the server variable Aborted_clients is incremented.
The server variable Aborted_connects is incremented when:
    * When a connection packet doesn't contain the right information.
    * When the user didn't have privileges to connect to a database.
    * When a user uses a wrong password.
    * When it takes more than connect_timeout seconds to get a connect
package. See section 4.5.6.4 SHOW VARIABLES.
Note that the above could indicate that someone is trying to break into your
database!
Other reasons for problems with Aborted clients / Aborted connections.
    * Usage of duplex Ethernet protocol, both half and full with Linux. Many
Linux Ethernet drivers have this bug. You should test for this bug by
transferring a huge file via ftp between these two machines. If a transfer
goes in burst-pause-burst-pause ... mode then you are experiencing a Linux
duplex syndrome. The only solution to this problem is switching of both half
and full duplexing on hubs and switches.
    * Some problem with the thread library that causes interrupts on reads.
    * Badly configured TCP/IP.
    * Faulty Ethernets or hubs or switches, cables ... This can be diagnosed
properly only by replacing hardware.
    * max_allowed_packet is too small or queries require more memory than
you have alloacated for mysqld. See section A.2.8 Packet too large Error.

See also:
http://toker.hum.gu.se/manualer/mysql/manual_toc.html#Communication_errors

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Kai Schliemann
IT-Consultant

comundus Unternehmensberatung GmbH
Schüttelgrabenring 3, 71332 Waiblingen

Tel:    +49 (0) 71 51-5 00 28-0   Fax: -99

www.comundus.com www.comundus-e-quality.com