[opencms-dev] Special Character Problem

Jörg Herbst herbst at getit.de
Mon Jan 19 18:58:02 CET 2004

Hi Fred,

that's no bug, it's a feature ;-) ! Assuming you're using UTF-8 or
ISO-8859-1 as you're character set, chars like 'ä' or è are just part of
the charcter set, so writing the String "as is" in the HTML is ok. You
only need to encode chars, which are not part of the character set or
which have special HTML functions (like '<'). If you want for some
reason to get all chars encoded, you should try a very small chars set
(like 7bit ASC-II), in this charset all "special" characters should be
encoded.

Jörg

>I made some more testing and I found out:
>When I enter a ampersand & or the greater than >
>character it is saved correctly as &amp or &gt
>But the umlauts are still saved as ä and not as &auml.
>
>Is this a problem of the MSHTML editor component?
>Or is it a configuration problem?
>
>thanks for your help
>Fred Marquis
>

>--- Fred Marquis <dr_stoned at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>I have a setup/configuration problem or there is
>>a bug in OpenCMS.
>>
>>When I am inserting a HTML special character in the
>>WYSIWYG editor, the char is displayed correctly. But
>>if I switch to source code editor the special
>>character
>>is not encoded in HTML like "&uml or Ӓ" but it
>>is displayed directly as "ä or è".
>>How can I force OpenCMS to save thecharacterss in
>>special HTML character encoding?
>>
>>I tried different JDKs (1.4.2_02 and 1.4.1_06) and
>>also different encoding types (UTF-8 and ISO).
>>
>>I have installed it under
>>OpenCms version is: 5.0.1 Kaitain
>>Running on Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM)
>>Client VM 1.4.1_06-b01 mixed mode with Linux
>>2.4.18-4GB (i386)
>>MySQL 3.23.48
>>
>>Thank you for your help,
>>Fred

Jörg Herbst                           Fon: +49.231.9742.456
Softwareentwicklung u. Beratung      mailto:herbst at getit.de

GETIT mbH
Gesellschaft für Technologie- und Informationstransfer
Emil-Figge-Straße 76-80                 http://www.getit.de
44227 Dortmund                        Fax: +49.231.9742.356