[opencms-dev] Feedback requested for current CVS HEAD version

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Wed Feb 4 09:54:00 CET 2004

Hi Olli,

> Good to see that the new version is now this close to the
> first release.

Well I didn't say that. In fact I consider the current version in a
pre-alpha stadium. Release date will be around end of the year.

> - I noticed that the XML for the page item has changed and
> the bodies are stored with the page item, not in
> /system/bodies/ folder like before. Are there any other
> fundamental changes like this that I should know about?

Probably so, because there are many changes. I recommend you closely inspect
the current CVS HEAD version and if there are specific issues I am happy to
answer. If you don't find issues, the cahnges are apparently not fundametal.

> - Multi site functionality looks very good. However, are you
> planning to modify the user management also, so that the user
> administration responsibility can be handed down to the site
> admins and that way the sites can function completely
> independent?

Planning in general yes. Planning for the release no.

> Also the workflow needs to modified, so that the
> tasks can be signed to the real groups instead of the current
> "abstract" parent group approach.

But this is already possible (even in 5.0) You just have to set the "role
for tasks" checkbox in the group properties.

> - Also way back when we were waiting the version 5 release, I
> sent you some workplace code to handle automatic data expiry
> (start date, review data and expiry date function). Any
> chance including this function this time around? In my
> opinion data expiry is very important part of content management.

This might be one of the features that we are likley to add for the final
release, but with a different approach (likley to be based on additional
database columns for the resources).

> Good work overall! When are you planning to the first
> release? Anything we could do to speed this up?

As said already end of year. Yes I am sure you can help, this would be much
appreciated. As would be the help of all others (e.g. Joachim already
offered some help).

I will post more details about the current CVS HEAD status, the general
roadmap to the release and how we could share some work (in a way that makes
sense) next week. Until then, I would like to collect more to-the-point
feedback about the CVS HEAD version.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior