[opencms-dev] Users and Groups...

Thomas M�rz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 26 19:30:02 CEST 2004

Rufus Knight <Rufus.Knight at headstrong.com> writes:

> I would like to add new users to the system and grant them the ability to
> add content to folders that are located underneath the system folder.
> However when these users are added they are unable to view the folders that
> have been created for them because they can't see the system folder, even
> though they have been given permission to do so (at least I think).  Also,
> it seems that only those who are in the Admin group are able to see the
> system folder and its subfolders. Can only administrators see this folder
> and its contents?

By default, yes. Look at the permissions for the folder.

> Is it possible to grant access to this folder to others
> who aren't administrators?

Yes, change the permissions to the folder "/system/" and for the folders
beneath. But be careful not to grant permissions to some special folders.
So don't recursively change the permissions!

Normally the users only need the right to view the folder "/system/"
resp. the folders beneath until the folder with write permissions is
reached. I did this often and I don't think this is a security
risk. E. g. they all should get access by typing the absolute path in
the input box for the path and press return.

HTH