[opencms-dev] Strange directory behavior with ordinary pages with navigation in OpenCMS 5.0.

Ronald Rotteveel opencms at ropeco.nl
Tue May 18 17:19:01 CEST 2004

Dear OpenCMS users,

We are using OpenCMS 5.0 over a year for our soccer club Voorschoten '97
(www.voorschoten97.nl). It works quite well, but we are now running into
some strange behavior kind of things.

Instead of using the contributed modules for news we use the navigation
functionality to built a newslist. Our jsp walks through this list of news
items based on navigation and displays the newest 5 items on the frontpage.
We are now at page 4 of the list, which means we are now having 174 pages in
this directory.

All of a sudden we are not allowed to create extra pages. If we try, we get
an Resource not found exception (404) back from Tomcat, saying that the
resource
http://www.voorschoten97.nl/opencms/opencms/system/workplace/action/explorer_files_new_page.html?initial=true
is not found. I checked the directory and the permissions, but the resource
is available. So after this message I created another file (page) in the
directory above the place I wanted to create this file. The strange thing
is, it didn't give the Tomcat error 404 "Resource not found", and it created
the page. After this I moved the file to the directory where I wanted it to
be and everything went ok.
When I want to change the navigation of this item via "Change navigation" on
the menu of this item, I again get the Resource not found error, but now on
the file
(http://www.voorschoten97.nl/opencms/opencms/system/workplace/action/chnav.h
tml?initial=true&lasturl=http:%2F%2Fwww.voorschoten97.nl%2Fopencms%2Fopencms
%2Fsystem%2Fworkplace%2Faction%2Fexplorer_files.html&file=/nieuws/20032004/2
004051800.html). Ofcourse, I can edit the navigation value via properties,
so this is not a real problem, but it is strange behavior to me!. I can also
edit the page and publish it, so here also no problems.

My questions now are as follows:
- Are there limitations for using the navigation?
- Does a directory have a maximum level for the number of pages/directories
with navigation in it?
- Can OpenCMS get corrupted? And if yes, what can I do about it?
- Does OpenCMS version 5.0.1 solve some of these problems/strange behavior
thingies?

I really hope someone can help me with these things, because it's guessing
for me!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ronald