[opencms-dev] Still different encoding problem on DEBIAN and with mysql access (permission denied): help me!

Uwe König uwederkoenig at web.de
Tue May 18 22:25:02 CEST 2004

Hello,

> anyone has installed successfully opencms 5.01 on Debian system
> (JVM: 1.4.2 - Tomcat 4.1)?

Yes.

> I have the following errors:
> 1. The usual error of different encoding (on debian results
> ANSI_X3.4-1968): I've just tried to set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile...,
> in the same way also the JAVA_OPTS, I tried to restart tomcat, to
> reboot the machine....I've tried all solutions found on forum and
> on java forum...but with no success :-(( Anybody has a direct
> experience with opencms on debian? Thanks. HELP ME please!

How exactly did you try to set it? If you open a shell and type
'echo $CATALINA_OPTS', what does appear?

> 2. If I try to modify the opencms encoding via opencms.properties
> to skip this error and I find this next on mysql connection:
> ------------------------------- Could no connect to database via:
> jdbc:<mysql://birch:3306/>mysql://www.victoriasrl.it<mysql://birc
> h:3306/>:3306/ java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization
> specification: Access denied for user: 'root at victoria' (Using
> password:
> YES)-------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------------------------
>
> I found the same probem on formun
> (http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2002q3/002478.html
> ). Has anyone resolved definitively this problem?

You must grant mysql-access to your user, e.g. root (whom to use is
bad practice, btw.)
I suppose your mysql-daemon is running, then connect to the server
and use the db 'mysql'. There you find a table named 'user' which
contains user- and hostnames and the permitted operations for a
certain user connecting from a certain host. Check if theres an
entry for your combination 'root' / 'victoria'. If not, add it with
appropriate rights.
Best regards,

Uwe König