AW: [opencms-dev] Problem: Tree view of online project in workplace crashed

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Wed Jun 30 09:08:00 CEST 2004

Well it is not as much MySQL per say, but rather the choice of
back-end. Traditionally MySQL have been using MyISAM as back-end. This
doesn't provide transactions (not ACID compliant) and what you describe
is exactly what one would expect when a bunch of commands aren't
treated as one atomic transaction.
Given the popularity of MySQL this seems not to happen very often in
'real life' (depending on the application and its usage), but once it
does it often ruins the integrity of the data (i.e. go get your
backup...)
As of MySQL 4 an alternative back-end is included, the InnoDB which do
provide ACID compliance. But to fully utilize transactions and perhaps
other features like referential integrity, the OpenCms might have to be
altered (I am not all to familiar with the low-level database access
code, so no idea how difficult it would be to do that)

Claus