[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 6.0-alpha2 Multi-language support

Martin Kuba makub at ics.muni.cz
Wed Nov 24 10:07:41 CET 2004

Robert Petermeier wrote:
> Martin Kuba schrieb:
>  >

>> The missing piece of information here is that then the file
>> is displayed *only* in the locale selected by the "locale" property.
>> You have to create another folder with different setting of
>> the "locale" property, and create a "sibling" of the file
>> in the other folder, to see the other languge part of the file.
>>
>> There is no mechanism which would make sure that such siblings
>> exist for each language, so it is questionable whether
>> this languages-sibling-locale stuff gives anything
>> more than just having separate files for each language.
>

> Well, I guess it doesn't when the user is creating new pages. But it
> certainly does help when existing pages are being edited.
>
> However, I agree with you partly. That's why I have written an alternate
> implementation of org.opencms.i18n.I_CmsLocaleManager following a
> suggestion from Alexander Kandzior. I am going to post it on this list
> to see what people think of it. Unfortunately, I cannot do it before
> Thursday as I don't have access to the computers the sources are on from
> where I am now.

Yes, I also wrote an alternative CmsLocaleManager some time ago,
which selects the locale based on browser's preference ("accept-language"
HTTP header) but then I found that it would not work together
with static export, so I reverted back to the default one.

It would help to have an option to make siblings of folders, but that
seems to be unsupported at this time.

Martin
Supercomputing Center Brno             Martin Kuba
Institute of Computer Science    email: makub at ics.muni.cz
Masaryk University             http://www.ics.muni.cz/~makub/
Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ     mobil: +420-603-533775