[opencms-dev] help with News module - read docs & log files, re-install

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Tue Jan 25 01:31:42 CET 2005

At 10:12 AM 1/24/2005, Daniel Beinlich wrote:

>The news module [that] I [am] us[ing] is written by Mark Miller

         Actually, Antonio Reyes and Paolo Brunasti also contributed to
that module. See the file "manifest.xml" that is included in the module
"zip" file.

>(<http://www.hema.ch/personal/mark.miller/opencms/module_news.html>http://www.hema.ch/personal/mark.miller/opencms/module_news.html).
>[T]he version [of the module is version] 2. I couldn’t find
>
>another news module. I have read a lot of the page
><http://opencms.al-arenal.de/>http://opencms.al-arenal.de/ but this page
>is down. So
>
>I couldn’t get any other versions or documentations of the news module.
>
>I have successfully installed this module and I can insert a news entry
>and edit an existing entry, but I don´t know how [to] implement the news
>in my website. The demo inside the module doesn´t work.
>
>So, I really need your help and I hope that there is someone who can tell
>me what I have to do.

         First, have you executed the file "news.sql" that is included in
the "zip" file? I suspect that you have done so. Otherwise, you probably
would not be able to insert a news entry. It is possible that OpenCMS has
already executed the file for you (when you installed the module). Second,
read the primary documentation file in the zip file. This file is named
"index.html" and, in the zip file, it is located here:

         /system/modules/com.opencms.modules.homepage.news/doc

In the zip file, there are _several_ files named "index.html." If you have
installed the news module, then this file is probably already in the OC
virtual file system. Third, examine your log files, especially the first of
these:

1.  opencms.log

         By default, this file is
here:  <Tomcat_home>/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/logs/opencms.log

2.  catalina.out -- For historical reasons, the primary log file for Tomcat
is _not_ called "tomcat.log".

         On Debian, this file is here:  /var/log/tomcat4/catalina.out

3.  database log files, e.g., for MySQL.

         On Debian, this file is here:  /var/lib/mysql/<hostname>.log

Finally, on one occasion, I solved a problem with a module by removing it
and then installing it again.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain