[opencms-dev] Importing OpenCMS 5 website to OpenCMS 6

Michael Emmerich emmerich at german-navy.de
Sun Jan 30 16:43:45 CET 2005

Marcus,

> All,
>
> what is the best way to import a JSP-Template based OpenCMS 5 website into
> OpenCMS6. I used the export in OpenCMS 5 and then imported it. The problem
> is that no jsptemplate folder exist in OpenCMS 6 anymore and you need no
> XML-Template anymore. Also the controlcode wors differently and the folder
> /system/bodies is used diffrently isn't it?
>
> To me it looks like a lot of work to import an old OpenCMS5 website into
> OpenCMS6. Is there any way to make this happen?

Mirgrating from OpenCms5 to 6 is not that difficult as it looks.
As you point out, there is no xml-template anymore. Instead, the
JSP-Template is now used directly.

So the former jsptemplates no become your templates. As the package
structure of OpenCms has changed, you have to adjust the imports and
package names of your jsp based templates.  In most cases this is enough
to get your templates work.

In OpenCms 6, there are no system/bodies/ anymore, the content is now
stored in the VFS where your control files were stored in OpenCms 5.
The conversion from the old structure to the new one is done during the
import of an old OpenCms5 export file.
After the import, you then will find the name of the old xml-template as
the value of the "template" property - this is the name of the old
xml-template used in your OpenCms5 site.
You must change this to the former jsptemplate (which now is the only
template you need). There is a new function for changing multiple
propertyvalues at once in the adminstration view.

By doing so, you can mirgrate from OpenCms 5 to 6 quite fast, of course
this is a bit depending on how much you have to adjust your
jsp-templates so that they will run with Opencms 6.

Regards,
Michael Emmerich

Home   : emmerich at german-navy.de
Work   : m.emmerich at alkacon.com