[opencms-dev] Can templateone really provide e-mail sending?

Domenico De Seta domenico.deseta at tiscali.it
Sun May 8 21:12:39 CEST 2005

Hello Robert, you wrote:
>That's where you are making a wrong assumption. OpenCms does not come
>with its own mailserver (why should it, anyway). It has built-in
support
>for _sending_ emails to an external mail server. (By 'external' I mean
>that it is a different program, it can of course be run on the same box
>as OpenCms.)

>This can be a server maintained by your provider, or let's say a linux
>box running postfix or whatever which is maintained by you or your
company.

>Bye,
>Robert

Of course  know that “OpenCms does not come with its own mailserver”.
The situation in my case is as follows:

-          I have Opencms installed on a “machine” running the Microsoft
IIS 5.0 web server;
-          This machine has a SMTP service running on it, therefore it
should be able to “send” e-mail messages (is this correct?), e.g.  using
information provided by Opencms, according to your
-          What I can’t figure out it what info should be put in the
lines

<mail>

<mailfrom>nobody at nowhere.com</mailfrom>
                                   <mailhost name="my.smtp.server"
protocol="smtp" user="username" password="secure"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="alternative.smtp.server"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="another.alternative.smtp.server"/>
</mail>

          in place of  :   “nobody at nowhere.com”  and  "my.smtp.server" .
I tried to use various valid e-mail accounts, unsuccessfully.

Did you succeed  to send e-mail using Opencms? If so, can you “describe”
your settings, (of course  don’t need to know the actual settings!). It
would help me to know if you actually experienced the e-mail sending
from Opencms, or if you are rather arguing theoretical  behavior.

Hope some day I will send a message from Opencms !

Specifically to Andreas Zahner:

I see that you are the author of “CmsHtmlMail.java” class: I think you
can add very helpful comments to the ongoing discussion I rose on the
subject.

Thank you very much for any help you would offer.

Domenico