[opencms-dev] Installation issues - Incompatible compiler & JRE

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Thu May 26 21:52:12 CEST 2005

cherif wrote:
> hello Paul D and Ethan,
>
> Sorry if i send 2 times and my english!!
>
> The JDK is basically a JRE plus a compiler so you can compile and run java
> programs yes ?
> Because Tomcat needs a compiler to process JSP pages, you MUST download the
> JDK, yes?

Cherif,

	Yes, that is my understanding, too.

> basically, opencms Installation issues (on unix system and my own experience,
> don't know about  windows) [spring] from:

> ----->bad PATH setting :java classes can't be found(e.g javac, even java) or
> other needed resources.

> ----->bad combination of versions (jdk version, jsp specification
> level(tomcat version),  mysql version ..)

	Yes, I agree.

> keep [in] mind that tomcat version 4.x =  servlet 2.3 specification - jsp 1.2
> specification
>     tomcat version 5.x =servlet 2.4 specification - jsp 2.0 specification
> etc....
>
> Please try to be sure [that you are] gathering and "combining"
> the [right] pieces
>
> I think Paul is rigth you are having incompatibility problem

> You have installed your JRE via RPM, then before installing the jdk, did you
> remove your JRE RPM instal  ? (rpm -e .....)
>
> Can i suggest : jdk-1.5_0_03-linux-i386.bin, jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.tar.gz,
> MYSQL-server-4.1.11-0.i386.rpm,MYSQL-client-4.1.11-0.i386.rpm,mysql-connecto
> r-java-3.1.8a.tar.gz those what i am using on fedora core 3 (think should
> work well on fc2)
> Generally, i don't like spanding too much time in deburging, very stressing,
> often trying to find the good combination as i describe is far more quiker..

	Again, I agree. It is interesting that Ethan eventually solved his
problem by stopping his use of GCJ.

	With all due respect to Ethan, I sense that the root of the problem was
that he did not understand J2EE web administration. In particular, Ethan
did not seem to understand how Tomcat works or how properly to configure
its Java environment.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain