[opencms-dev] cross site scripting handling in OpenCms

Rainer Vehns vehns at codecentric.de
Sun May 29 21:06:45 CEST 2005

Hello all,

there is a common security issue called "cross site scripting" (XSS) and we
have recognized, that our implementation with OpenCms does not take care
about this. For example if I enter the URL
"http://test.domain.de/opencms/opencms/
<http://test.domain.de/opencms/opencms/%3cscript%3ealert(%22here>
<script>alert("here we are");</script>" the browser interprets the appended
JavaScript. There are articles about this security hole, but more important:
our customer wants us to fix that.

Does someone have a working (generic) solution, or is this issue addressed
in future versions? We are currently using version 6 beta 2.

I would contribute a solution, but before I want to get sure, that I don't
do something, which already exists.

Kind regards,

Rainer