[opencms-dev] Group Concept, Parent Group Question

Marius Oancea mar1u50 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 19 11:41:52 CEST 2005

Hi,
    As you can see in OpenCms there are 4 predefined groups:

    Users (projectuser, rolefortask)
    Admin (project manager)
    Guest
    ProjectManager (proj manager, proj user, rolefortask) is_a Users

    You can create your own groups as a subclass of one of that groups.

    project managers can administrate projects (a project is a set of
todo-s) including publishing and assigning tasks.
    projUsers can solve tasks (projects) - can log into Workspace and
edit content
    rolefortask - allows tasks to be assigned to the whole group.

    ParentGroup helps you define a hierarchy of groups (If you assign
one user to group B is_a A, you automatically add the group to A)

    One user can be part of many groups (you can switch the currently
active group at any time).

    Users goups can edit content but cannot publish or admin the site.
    Guest users can see the published content but cannot log in into
workspace (to edit).

    Best Regards
       Marius Oancea

Maximilian Renkin wrote:

> I am doing my first steps in OpenCMS. I didn`t find any real
> explanation of the groups concept yet. gmmnn
>
> I want to understand the concept of parent groups a bit - especially
> what is implicated with the use or not-use of the predefined Admin
> group as parent group for my own Admin group (the same for the other
> predefined Groups).
>
> What is the exact idea of the Admin Group - it seems not to be a
> system defined role type, since I cannot select a flag like Project
> Manager or Project Co-Worker.
>
> A similar question about the Project Manager and Co-Worker - what
> limitations/rules are defined in the system?
>
> Thanks for any hint - maybe I have not realized an existing piece of
> info somewhere?
>
> Max Renkin

Let your workings remain a mystery.
Just show people the results,