[opencms-dev] OpenCms Tutorial for user?

Alexandru Popescu the_mindstorm at evolva.ro
Sat Aug 6 13:48:13 CEST 2005

#: Arash Kaffamanesh changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  8/6/2005 12:46 PM :#
> Cheers :alex,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> I would like to find out a step-by-step or user manual how to set up a
> full blown new site. While
>> experimenting with different functionalities is kindda keen, I still
> don't have an overall picture.
>> Yes, I agree this is also because I never used a cms product, but I
> think an intro would be welcomed.
>
> Ok. I will try to write a step-by-step user manual for setting up a
> "full blown new site" with OpenCms.
> Before doing that, I would suggest to register your OpenCms Demo Account
> on our site at:
>
> https://www.pomegranate.de/opencms/opencms/en/emailform
>
> After the registeration process, you will get your account data and can
> beginn to play with the installation on our site to become familiar with
> OpenCms and have an idea what a CM system is and in particular how
> OpenCms supports the content management process for building 1st class
> websites and intranet document management systems.
>
> But for now you can go to News&Links --> CMS Links on our site, where
> you can find several Links to other CMS resources, e.g what is a CMS?
>
> We provide also OpenCms Shared and Dedicated Hosting Services for SME's
> and individuals for an affordable price wit free email support and a
> forum to discuss any OpenCms / Portal / CMS needs:
> http://www.pomegranate.de:9000/cms/forum/index
>
> Looking forward to your feedback.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Arash
>
> www.pomegranate.de
> OpenCms Hosting Solutions

Many thanks Arash. It is indeed a nice offer. I have setted an OpenCMS distro on my laptop so I
assume I would like to play with it here (this will allow me to check the db, and make a lot of
tweaks around ;-)).

Definitely I will take a look at the links. I do have knowledge about what a cms solution should
provide and moreover I think I have better knowledge of what I would like to have ;-). However, the
cms market seems very different and the approaches are quite different (f.e. I have spent the last
few weeks looking at OpenCMS, Magnolia and LifeRay, every of them offering a completely different
approach).

One of the common points however is the lack of this step-by-step guide ;-). It will provide a new
user with an improved starting time, so as you may guess for the user it will be much more easier to
decide for a solution. I don't think this overlaps with the professional (payed) services almost all
CMS providers are offering, but rather would help gain more and more users.

these are my .02 euroc,
:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|