[opencms-dev] changes to run on a cluster

Jason Trump jason.trump at brulant.com
Fri Sep 2 22:37:09 CEST 2005

Hello,

There was some recent discussion on the list about running OpenCms in a
clustered environment (WebLogic again in this case).

I think there will be a few problems:
1.  The event service is not distributed (event listeners wouldn't hear
about events happening on another node in the cluster).

2.  The search index files are stored on disk (each node would have to
be reindexed separately).

I had some thoughts about how to address these:
1.  Introduce a new 'manager' interface, maybe "I_CmsEventDispatcher",
which abstracts the listener / event code currently in OpenCmsCore.
Create a JMS-backed implementation of this interface that can be used
when running in a cluster.

2.  Change the search indexer to store the generated index files as a
VFS resource.  Update the copy of the indexes on disk from the VFS
resource when the OpenCms application is deployed.

I was wondering if anybody is already working on these problems, or if
there has been prior discussion?

-jason

JASON C. TRUMP
Senior Consultant