[opencms-dev] OpenCMS as Root Application

Nick DeSteffen Nick.DeSteffen at wausaubenefits.com
Wed Jun 7 18:31:23 CEST 2006

I'm trying to install OpenCMS 6.2 on Tomcat 5.5.17 as the root/default
application.  For example, the URL for OpenCMS would be
http://localhost:8080/opencms instead of
http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms.

Here are the steps I've done thus far...

1. I configured Tomcat to use opencms as the root application.

2. I modified the opencms web.xml file OpenCMSServlet context parameter as
follows...

<context-param>
  <param-name>OpenCmsServlet</param-name>
  <param-value>/opencms/*</param-value>
</context-param>

3. I uncommented and modified the web.xml file WebApplicationContext
context parameter as follows...

<!--
        Uncomment this parameter in case you change the web application
context using an application server
        specific deployment descriptor. E.g. in Jboss, you could use the
jboss-web.xml file to deploy opencms under the
        context 'myopencms' but still keep the files in the folder
'opencms.war' -->

<context-param>
  <param-name>WebApplicationContext</param-name>
  <param-value></param-value>
</context-param>

When I uncomment/change the WebApplicationContext context parameter the
actual site works, however the Admin application does not work.  The urls
are wrong.  For instance the image on the login page has a url of
http://resources/commons/login_logo.png, which is obviously wrong.  Once I
login to the admin application I get DNS errors in the package explorer
and broken images.

If I leave the WebApplicationContext context parameter commented out the
urls within the actual site are wrong.  A link to another Opencms page now
displays the url as /opencms/opencms/....

Am I missing something?  How can I get the site and admin application to
both work when installing OpenCMS as the default application?

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

This communication is intended only for the recipient(s) named above; may be confidential and/or legally privileged; and, must be treated as such in accordance with state and federal laws. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this communication, or any of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to Nick DeSteffen and delete the message from your computer system.