[opencms-dev] howto customize OpenCMS GUI

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Jul 13 08:28:29 CEST 2006

Roberto Hervella MacĂ­a schrieb:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have implemented a new Lucene index to search contents in a folder of news. I know it is possible to search inside the Administrtion view, but I want to offer our users the possibility of searching contents in the news (in the Explorer view).
> I don't know exactly which is the best solution to offer this functionality to our users. One possibility I'd thought of was the customization of OpenCMS GUI to add a search buttom for our users.
>
> Has anybody done anything similar?
> Is there any other better solution to get our goal?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>     Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I don't think that there's an elegant way to do this - so I think all
you can do is to dig out the file you want to change and - well - change
it, plus add a very big comment that encloses all your changes. Then you
add the changed file to the additional resources of a module and export
it, so that you can re-import the change together with your module,
after you have done an update.

Of course any update might break this or at least you might introduce
old code back into the system, but afaik there is no extension mechanism
or anything to overcome this. I have the same problem because I need to
do some slight modifications to the opencms explorer listings.

regards
Christian