[opencms-dev] We can't navigate within some folders in the workplace.

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Jul 29 20:39:04 CEST 2006

Toni PĂ©rez schrieb:
> On 28/07/06, Christian Steinert  wrote:
>> Dear Toni,
>>
>> How did you import that content?
>

> We imported the contents from another OpenCms 6.2.1 (the development
> environment). This was more than two months ago. It was working until
> these days.
>
> Talking about the development environment... we can export the
> valuable content from the production OpenCms, import in the
> development environment, test that the sites are working, make a
> backup of the development MySQL database (a 4.0.24) and restore it in
> the production server. It could works?
>
> Christian, trank you very much for your reply. Thinking about how to
> answer you we have found a possible solution. But, as in the case of
> Nigel Kersten, I would like to know what is happening.

Dear toni,

First of all you should do a complete database dump (proably you've done
that)

Then it might be worth a try to see if the resources are corrupted in
the online project, too. As opencms keeps the online resources in a
different table, they might be ok.

If the online version of your resources seems to be ok, you should
export from the online project. You might even try "undo changes" on the
folder and everything below, but if I were you, I would be suspicious
about that database, so it might not be a good advice to mess around
with the existing DB too much.

Also you might try to debug the system as it tries to list the folder.
Because this seems to be a production  system, you would probably have
to import the DB into a new system on a development machine and debug it
there.
You could set an exception breakpoint on Throwable and the see what's
happening. (But don't be surprided about observing some unrelaed
exceptions - opencms might experience several exceptions even in a
working request!)

____

You say that you have tried to export everything, delete everything,
re-import everything - but without success.

Have you tried importing your opencms export into a *clean* opencms
installation?

If it works with a clean system, then your current database is corrupted
and your re-imported files "connect" to this corruption, probably
because you import them again with the same UUID as before.

On the other hand, if it does *not* work when you import your export
file into a clean system, then there must also be some not-so-obvious
error in the manifest.xml in your export. (Maybe some messed-up
relations between a resource and its parent folder - I don't know if
sth. like this could happen)

_____

To bring this in an order
- do a complete mysql database dump of your corrupted database (use
mysqldump; don't use the opencms tools)
- check if your folders work inside of the online project
- if online project is ok -> use opencms export from online AND offline,
compare manifest.xml for both exports
- if online project is not ok -> export data from wherever you like,
import data into a clean opencms instance

Then, after you hopefully have your production system back in order:
- import the corrupted mysql DB dump into a dev machine and debug to
find out more about the cause for your trouble.

I know that debugging the error seems the least inviting thing possible
- but if nothing else works and of course if you can put in the time, it
might be a good idea to do...

Good Luck!
Christian