[opencms-dev] System Requirements for OpenCms

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Sep 11 12:19:30 CEST 2006

Joe Desbonnet schrieb:
> 256MB will be a very tight squeeze. It will work no doubt - but will
> have a significant impact on performance as a lot of memory paging
> will take place (memory being swapped to and from the hard disk).
>
> I would strongly recommend a minimum of 512MB. I'm on a hosting plan
> which offers a dedicated Pentium 4, 3GHz, 512MB RAM and 60GB disk for
> EUR 85 (US$100?) /month.  I think that's about the going rate at many
> places.
>
> If you can fit several customers on the same instance of OpenCms it
> should (?) be affordable.
>
> Joe.
I also think, that 512MB would be better. 256MB of physical memory could
easily get exhausted and then a part of your application will be swapped
out.

I don't know if the CPU architecture has an influence on RAM
consumption, but I would not expect it to be much different, even if
someone uses 64Bit Java where the pointers are probably a bit bigger
because of the increased adress space. (Running 32Bit Java on a 64Bit
processor makes exactly zero difference in memory consumption, compared
to 32Bit processor)

Memory consumption in Java comes more from the fact that characters are
using 16Bit unicode and from some memory overhead of the virtual which
also needs to organize itself. And that is also the case if you run on a
32Bit processor architecture.

hth
Christian