[opencms-dev] Initial installation No working

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Fri Oct 13 13:22:49 CEST 2006

Tom Miller schrieb:
> My installation was successfull and no complain.
>
> However, I am having problem getting the initial
> (http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/index.jsp?)
> web site to work.
>

> I looked into the log file and the seem to look for some
> thing like /sites/default/.  However, this /sites/default/
> was create any where.  I have tried to create it manually
> but it still not working.
>
> Is there document that go into details on how to configure
> /sites/default?   and
> How and what files or parameters to modify so that the
> workspace (editor) will use different website home location.
>
> For example:
> I need to point the editor or workspace to different website
> location such as
>

> /var/www/playme-site1
> or
> /var/www/playme-site2

Take a look at the "site root" dropdown box. I would think that you
probably already are in the "/sites/default" section of your site. It
just works a bit different from what you might expect: each site root is
almost like its own logical filesystem with an own root path. If you
switch the site root to '/' then you can also create different site
folders. But you have to configure them in the XML-based configuration,
too - otherwise they will not count as site roots and will only be
boring folders instead.

hth
christian