[opencms-dev] OpenCms writes in the webapp directory considered a major problem

Christoph Schönfeld cschoenfeld at sylphen.com
Thu Nov 23 09:06:22 CET 2006

Hi,

my wish for separation is not inspired by the need for a high
availability. It is the inconvenient way of development OpenCms enforces
because it requires an unpacked WAR file. The suggestions would make
development and maintenance much easier.

When I talk about production data I mean every file touched by OpenCms
including its configuration files, indexes, etc, not just files exported
from the VFS for quicker access through Tomcat or static export files.

We should of course think about high availability solutions as well when
considering such a separation. I did not yet consider this in my
analysis and proposals. I must admit that I do not have much experience
to share on this area. Do you, or anyone else?

Best regards,
Christoph