[opencms-dev] problem with umlauts with OpenCMS 6

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Feb 22 17:34:55 CET 2007

> Hello Community,
>

> I have a problem with umlauts. OpenCMS displays "ä","ü","ö" on the page as it is entered into the content via fckeditor or as code within JSP pages. When we start to do file exports of certain directories and files the umlauts "ä","ü","ö" are replaced to characters like À ÃŒ �

what your are seeing is the utf-8 representation of your characters.

You have to declare your encoding in a meta tag in the header of each page so that the browser knows how to decode your characters

While your pages are sent from opencms, opencms will know the page encoding and communicate it to the browser by sending a http header. If your pages are exported and served by some static web server (usually apache), then that web server cannot tell the client which encoding it has to use and therefore your pages need to declare their encoding in aforementioned meta tag.

hth
christian