[opencms-dev] Newbie: Two opencms versions on the same server

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Wed May 9 21:15:08 CEST 2007

Arian -

Yes, you can have any number of versions co-installed, provided you have
sufficient memory etc, and they can even share the same instance of your
database engine (in my case, MySQL).  When setting up an instance you need
to make sure that it uses a unique database name (which you define in the
second or third set-up screen) and that both the Workplace and the main site
are accessible via a distinct host name.

In my shared instances, I use the same physical Java runtime binary and the
same physical Tomcat binary.  OpenCms application instances are given their
own separate runtime instance of Tomcat, though, by using unique values for
the CATALINA_HOME variable.  I think there's something about all this on the
Wiki, anyway - www.opencms-wiki.org.

Jon