[opencms-dev] Open 7.0.3 setup install hanging on agree to terms step

Gabe Wong gabrielw at ngasi.com
Mon Jan 14 22:39:46 CET 2008

Seth Gottlieb wrote:
> Hello OpenCms'ers
>
> I am trying to install OpenCms 7.0.3 on my laptop (Mac OSX Leopard,
> Tomcat 5, Java 1.5.0_13, MySQL 5).  For some reason, the application
> seems to hang after I accept the terms and click continue.  The only
> clue that I was able to find is that there were a bunch of entries in
> catalina.out saying "log4j:ERROR Error occured while converting date."
>  Then I get a big Java error:
>
> Shutting down OpenCms, version 7.0.3 in web application "null"
> Shutdown completed, total uptime was 00:14:18.
>
> log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: opencms_init.log (Permission denied)
>
> I am running Tomcat as root (sudo).
>
> I don't know where OpenCms is trying to put this file.  I tried to fix
> by doing a chmod -R a+w on the tomcat directory but that did no seem
> to work.

The default location of opencms_init.log is directly under the home
directory of the system user it is running under.
So in this case it would be /root/opencms_init.log. However that error
is not a terminal one. And it should
not be thrown if you are indeed running the app server as root.
Catalina logs would have indication of more errors. The OpenCMS shutdown
message, does it occur by itself or as you shutdown tomcat?

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement
NEW! 8.0 - Centrally manage multiple physical servers