[opencms-dev] How to set up multiple web sites with workflow

Serkan Durusoy [DNA | encoding the future] serkan.durusoy at dna-tr.com
Fri Jun 6 14:04:29 CEST 2008

Hello All,

I am very new to OpenCms and have been evaluating it against liferay and
alfresco. Liferay seems too much of a portal then WCM. Alfresco on the other
hand seems to be over-shooting my requirements in many ways (plus the
community edition scares me since it may not be stable)

If I can get a solution to my main requirement with workflows, I'll
definitely be choosing OpenCms over the others.

Here is the scenario I am trying to create.

1) A main web site with multiple sub-sites, for example:
   - site a: www.mycompany.com
   - site b: solutionssite.mycompany.com
   - site c: supportsite.mycompany.com
   - site d: offtopic.mycompany.com
2) There are three different user roles (but it would not hurt if there are
four/five/six roles if there already is such an out-of-box solution):
   - Content authors - who initially create/modify content and send them to
editors for approval
   - Editors - 1) approve/reject content that come from authors 2) also
create/modify content and send to admin for final approval (publish)
   - Admins - 1) approve/reject content that come from editors and/or
authors (if approved, the content is published) 2) create/modify content to
be published directly
3) A user can be either one or more (even all) of author, editor, admin for
either one or more of site a/b/c/d. For example, a user named SERKAN can be:
   - author for sites a,b
   - editor for site c
   - admin for site d

Is there an out-of-box functionality (or an add-on module) that would
provide me with the above functionality? I would appreciate if someone can
tell me if this is possible, and how.

Quick note: I am a business user, thus I am not able to modify or add Java
codes.

I am interested in the final version 7.0.4 of OpenCms and I will be
deploying it on a single server hardware:
> Dual Intel Xeon Processors with 2GB Ram
> Windows 2003 Server R2 32bit
> Sun JDK 1.5.xx or JDK 1.6.xx (whicever more appropriate in terms of
OpenCms requirements)
> Standalone (no apache web server frontend) Tomcat (with APR tcnative.dll)
5.5.xx or 6.0.xx (whicever more appropriate in terms of OpenCms
requirements)
> MySQL 5.0.xx

Kind regards,

Serkan Durusoy
DNA | encoding the future
[A] Goksuevleri Palmiye Cad. A54-b Anadolu Hisari - Istanbul - Turkiye
[T] +90 216 465 87 00
[F] +90 216 465 65 04
[U] www.dna-tr.com | www.sitepratik.com