[opencms-dev] Organising multilingual sites in OpenCms

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Tue Jun 17 13:55:11 CEST 2008

The example I was thinking about would be like
www.example.com/US/customers.html and
www.example.co.uk/UK/customers.html - you can set up the rewrites to
ensure that the search engines never indexes /UK/customers.html as a
part of the example.com domain. If you do not have a domain per language
then this is not an issue.

If there are differences between say the UK and US content of a page (be
it different prices, links to language dependent pages, images and so
on), then you need to maintain two "copies" of the content - one per
language. So if the UK contains a link to another UK page you will need
to "translate" it to the relevant US link on the US variant of the page.
  This is not automated out of the box since the link "translator" would
have to know how you have organized and named your folders for this to
work.

Anyway, you would do this with siblings unless your work flow dictates
otherwise. Using siblings here gives you the advantage that you can
define a default language and have that display if there is no
translation available for the request locale.