[opencms-dev] Offline indexing and searching in OpenCms 7.1

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Tue Oct 21 07:38:26 CEST 2008

I notice (from the history file) that the next version of OpenCms will come
with inbuilt support for offline searching.  Hooray!

Could someone from OpenCms confirm that offline indexing will behave just
like online?  I think it's vital that changes to offline resources can be
re-indexed automatically, including updates, deletions, moves and renames,
just as with the online site.  Sites with dynamic content relying heavily on
Lucene-generated pages are pretty useless if site editors can't see the
effects of their work until things are published.

I've built the latest OpenCms from source code and tried a few quick
experiments, but as far as I can tell, offline changes aren't reindexed
automatically - offline indexing seems to happen only when resources are
published, which just makes the offline index a pointless copy of the online
version.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

It would be great if I and others could ditch the custom indexing code which
has been needed to get round this restriction.

http://www.nabble.com/Improving-usefulness-of-offline-search-index-td8724519
.html
http://www.nabble.com/Indexing-offline-project---proposal-for-more-useful-se
tting-than-'auto'-td4728177.htm