[opencms-dev] Offline indexing and searching in OpenCms 7.1

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Tue Oct 21 10:23:12 CEST 2008

I've dug around the source code, and it looks as though everything works as
I'd hoped - thanks, Alkacon.

One comment: it would be nice to be able to control the update
frequency/interval for offline index updating.  [There's a typo in
DEFAULT_OFFLINE_UPDATE_FREQNENCY, btw]

My findings, in case they're of use to others:

1.  Offline resources can indeed be indexed - but only if you set an index's
rebuild mode to 'offline'.  This can't yet be done from the Search
Management view, so you have to edit opencms-search.xml by hand and restart
the server (or otherwise reload configuration).

2.  From a few quick tests, everything works as expected.  I can edit
offline resources, and changes are reflected within seconds.  I can publish
offline resources, then move their containing folder without publishing, and
the right changes are reflected in the offline index (and therefore in
offline search results).

3.  I notice that when you move/rename offline resources, they first
disappear from the offline index, before reappearing a few seconds later as
indexed in the new location.

Jon