[opencms-dev] Customizing Administrative Point Privileges

Nacho Fernandez snatcho at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 10:39:12 CET 2008

Hi Chuck and list,

The tool for configuring access to the administrative points is a property
called "admintoolhandler-class" where you should establish what class
implementing the interface I_CmsToolHandler decides if a certain tool is
visible/enabled or not.

Check the javadocs for both I_CmsToolHandler and A_CmsToolHandler where you
can get the idea and see the provided tool handlers (such as
CmsInvisibleToolHandler for those tools that should be always invisible).

If you need specific tool handling (icons hidden or disabled for certain
groups and users), you should implement your own class that extends
A_CmsToolHandler and write the right code for the methods "isEnabled" and
"isVisible".

All this is different to the old OpenCms 5 style based on permissions over
the files and folders in the admin tool folder, although I've always thought
OpenCms should bring a CmsPermissionBasedToolHandler (or the like) that
enables that old approach. Had I the time, I could implement it myself and
send it to the Alkacon guys.

(By the way, always search the wiki first, there's an article about this in
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/Adding_Admin_Tools ).

Greetings,

Nacho Fernandez.