[opencms-dev] "commercial open source license" (Re: comundus connects jBPM workflow engine with OpenCms)

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Fri Jul 3 11:49:54 CEST 2009

Dear Carl,

Sorry in advance - I know that this kind of discussion is rather
dangerous. I don't want to start a big thing here as this is not the
right list for it.
> Who appointed opensource.org, to define the term "open source" ?

Nobody appointed them but the term "open source" was coined to mean
"free software" and this site lists a few clear criteria for such
software. These criteria are also fulfilled by the licenses of many
projects that describe themselves as open source or free software.
> As I understand copyright laws NO LEGALLY BINDING LICENSE can fulfill those criteria, since they would then violate the creators moral rights, thus making those licenses void.
Does this mean that you consider the license of opencms to not be
binding? If you should have a right to use opencms, then it can only
come from those who licensed the code and from you accepting the license
- in this case LGPL.

About the "moral rights of the creator": Nobody is forced to license
one's work under these terms and nobody is forced to use a work of
others that is licensed under these terms. Free software licenses are
just licenses: somebody makes a piece of software available under
certain conditions that the licensee must fulfill to be allowed to use
that software. Also, very importantly, the original copyright holder
does _not_ give up any rights - he only grants some non-exclusive rights
to others, like any license does. And the copyright holder can
individually negotiate completely different terms with different people,
sell the copyrighted work to some under commercial licenses with totally
different terms, etc. There are lots of projects that are dual-licensed.
Then the licensee can usually choose to either pay and accept the
commercial terms or not pay and accept the open source terms.

Even Microsoft has licensed a few small programs in a way that matches
the list on opensource.org and the whole foundation of MacOS is licensed
under a BSD-Style license. And of course, there is Firefox, Safari,
Chrome, Eclipse, Netbeans, Tomcat, the upcoming Java 7, Lucene, etc. Of
course, nobody is forced to use any of these, but it surely is good
software.

By the way: I am not telling anybody which license to choose and how
many rights or obligations someone someone should grant - this is
completely the choice of the creator of a work. But if a license does
not allow redistribution of modified code, then it might be clearer to
say "this is commercial software, but when you buy it, it also comes
with the source code". Then everybody knows, what to expect.

Of course, we can just agree to disagree on any of these points. :-)
By the way: nothing here is intended as a personal attack or something
like that.

Best Regards
Christian