[opencms-dev] "commercial open source license" (Re: comundusconnects jBPM workflow engine with OpenCms)

Andreas Kuckartz A.Kuckartz at ping.de
Sun Jul 5 13:24:25 CEST 2009

Carl Alex Friis Nielsen wrote:

> I was referring to the criteria listed at opensource.org,
> and to them (IMHO) hijacking the term “open source”

You might like to read this text:

History of the OSI
http://opensource.org/history

> to also require things like “freeware” etc.

I am sorry but I do not understand what you mean by that. Maybe you can
name those OSI criteria which you object to.

> E.g. I don’t think the LGPL license fulfills the criteria.

You did not tell us which of the criteria are not fulfilled by LGPL
based on your analysis. In any case the Open Source Initiative does not
agree with you:

"The following licenses have been approved by the OSI via the License
Review Process.
GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License (LGPL)
GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License version 3.0 (LGPLv3)
..."
http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

Cheers,
Andreas