[opencms-dev] OpenCMS - JSF integration

Olaitan Olamilehin olaitan.olamilehin at moremr.com
Thu Jul 15 10:37:24 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your reply. Please see comments below.

Regards,
Olaitan .

On 07/15/2010 09:11 AM, Martin Höller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Montag, 12. Juli 2010 12:03:42 schrieb Olaitan Olamilehin:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Any ideas on how to integrate JSF into OpenCMS so that .jsf files are
>> used as the view layer instead of .jsp template files?
>>
>> I tried a small setup description on the OpenCMS wiki(
>> http://opencms-wiki.org/Java_Server_Faces_(JSF)
>> <http://opencms-wiki.org/Java_Server_Faces_%28JSF%29>) but I could not
>> get it to work. The jsf tags are not translated/transformed to html so
>> my test page is always blank and I dont get any errors in the logs.
>>
>> Suggestions and tips are warmly welcome.
>>
> Disclaimer: I'm currently not using OpenCms, so my help will be very limited
> ATM.
>
> It seems not many people are using OpenCms with JSF and Alcacon is not
> interested in it, which is disappointing, as JSP is a technology which is
> going to die (sooner or later).

*I totally agree with you. It is really sad that OpenCms/Alkacon can not
see that jsp is getting outdated. Especially with the advent of
component based technologies and flexible AJAX frameworks out there. I
really hope they can re-consider using JSF as an alternative to JSP.*
> However, the last time I used OpenCms with JSF it worked. All I had to do was
> doing all the configuration issues described on the mentioned wiki page.
> Note, that only JSF 1.1 is going to work, which is a  pretty outdated
> version! Which version are you using?

*Actually am currently using the latest version of JSF which is 2.0.3.
Maybe this is the problem, I will try out JSF 1.1 then( *I hope I can
still find it since it is really outdated :-) *). The only limitation I
have now is that the UI component library am using is Primefaces and it
only supports JSF 1.2 and JSF 2.0 so maybe I would have to try out some
other UI component library. By the way, did you use any additional UI
component library similar to primefaces? and if you did, what
**component **library did you use?*
> If JSF tags are not translated, it is a common mistake to forget to include
> accoring namespaces at the beginning of the page. Did you do this?

*Yes I did include the required namespaces using *@taglib* and I also
tried using facelets approach (i.e using .xhtml and including the
namespaces as e.g * xmlns:h, xmlns:f*) but still got a blank page with
empty html source. Thanks once again for your help. I will try JSF 1.1
and will let you know how it turns out.*