[opencms-dev] Architecture for New ecommerice Site in opencms 8

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Tue May 24 14:45:29 CEST 2011

Nazakat,

> I am new in opencms. I try to reach Alkacon for Video Tutorials but they
> refused by giving any sort of support to Pakistan.

I don't know who you contacted at Alkacon, but as we do not have any
video tutorial about OpenCms, therefore we cannot provide you with some.

 > We keen to use
> Opencms for our E-commerce Site, We spent lot of time on opencms as well
> for understanding the basic features. Now we are almost done. We want to
> purpose the new Architecture for Our client existing site. It will be
> the biggest site ever develop in opencms as per my knowledge if we
> successfully don it.
>
> I Have following question:
>
> 1-Can I get the Video Training stuff for opencms (off course we are
> ready to pay). Video Training or any other detail material for creating
> product management Module Example.

As I said, there is no "official" video training about OpenCms by
Alkacon. I know that there are seen a few tutorials on youtube, but I
cannot say anything how good or useful there are.

> 2-What is the best architecture for Creating new ecommerce Site in opencms.
>
> 3-What is the best way to use opencms partially for a new site. i.e. if
> I want to use the existing site and part of it is moved into opencms.
> For example we have huge Ecommerice site and in first step we want to
> create allow end use to create static pages using opencms and we want to
> develop product management module in opencms as wel but rest the site
> should be running as its.
  > 4-Should I develop new module for menu management (some menu element
are
> coming from the existing site and some are from opencms)? Or opencms
> giving me some of this possibilities.
>
> 5-In Short what would be the best architecture?
>
> I will be really very thankful if someone can guide us.

If you want to mix a "new" OpenCms installation with an "old" website
you first have to decide if

a) OpenCms should be the main aggregator of all content and finally
should deliver everything. This means OpenCms must somehow access the
content form the "old" website.

b) OpenCms is part of a larger "portal" and is used as a content
delivery component. The "portal" uses content pieces created in OpenCms
and integrates them into the existing portal.

Both alternatives can be made with OpenCms, form my experience I would
say that b) is more widely used. But there is no general "best"
practice, it always depends on the use case you have.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael.