[opencms-dev] Translation of the workplace in Italian

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Tue Jul 26 11:37:19 CEST 2011

Hello Antonio,

an Italian translation of the workplace would be a good addition to
OpenCms as it is quite often used in Italy.

Maybe you could contribute it that it could be added to future OpenCms
releases.

> I'm translating the workplace of 8.0.1 version in Italian.
>
> I've some doubt:
>
> 1) What's the use of messages starting with INIT prefix (I think that
> they are used when OpenCms is installed but I'm not sure).

Those messages are used when OpenCms is started. Take a look at the
opencms.log file after you have started OpenCms, there you can see them.

> 2) What's the use of messages starting with GUI_LOG prefix.

Those kind of messages are used for the publish dialog/mechanism in the
ADE front end of OpenCms 8.

> 3) For special character in the messages (e.g.: à,è, é, ì,ò, ù, ') need
> I to use a code (HTML or Unicode  code, e.g. ' :’ à: \u00E0)?

The German translation uses umlauts like "ä" "ö" "ü" directly, so I
would assume that you can use special Italian characters as well directly.

> 4) In English version of org.opencms.file.messages I found the escape
> sequence for newline ('\n'). It's correct? Can I use it?

Yes, you can use "\n" for newline.

> If someone is interested in collaborating in Italian translation, please
> contact me. I've planned the release on 12th September.

When doing the localisation, you should take a look at the JUnit tests
of OpenCms there is one test that checks if you have not forgotten any
localization keys.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael.